- Degree students

 - Non-degree students

Degree students

1.Temporary absences:

Students are permitted to complete their studies in phases and may be allowed temporary absence from school for various reasons (subject to approval of the university); however, total absences should not exceed two years. Temporary absences may be authorized for the following reasons:

    (1) Student suffers from illness that requires treatment or recuperation of more than six weeks. Such illnesses must be diagnosed by the school hospital or other designated medical institution;

    (2) Student has requested leave and is absent from school for up to six weeks in a semester;

    (3) Student is enrolled in military service;

    (4) Student will study abroad at his or her own expense;

   (5) Absences requested in advance for other special reasons may be authorized, if the school   deems that such an absence is warranted.

Student absences are counted in semesters. If a student requests an absence from school during a semester (before final exams), that entire semester will be counted as part of the absence and tuition fees for the semester will not be refunded. During the absence, students are not permitted to take classes, and if they do attend classes, any grades obtained will be considered invalid. Students who have received permission for their absence will maintain their status as enrolled students; however, during the absence, students shall not enjoy the privileges of attending students, such as the ability to apply for scholarships. The school will have no responsibility for accidents suffered by students during their absence. Students engaged in military service will retain enrolled status, which will remain valid for one year after their service has expired. During student absences, the school is not responsible for student visas or accommodation. If students wish to continue their absence from school, they are responsible for renewing their application. Except in extreme cases, if renewal is not completed within two weeks after the end of the approved absence period, the student's enrollment status will be canceled. Students are generally responsible for requesting absences themselves, and are also responsible for providing relevant evidence or proof to demonstrate need for the absence. After agreement by the dean of the student's college and the Office for Overseas Students, the student's application should be sent to the Office of Teaching Affairs for approval.


2 Returning to school:

During the registration period at the beginning of the semester following an absence, the student should apply to return to school with evidence to certify prior approval of the absence along with other relevant documentation. Only after such documentation has been checked by the college and approved by Office for Overseas Students and Office of Teaching Affairs, may the student return to school.



Overseas students may be withdrawn from Nankai University for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to: illness, unauthorized absence, denial of application to return to school, failure to register during the specified registration period, academic under-performance, or failure to meet other school requirements. Students who have been withdrawn from Nankai will not be permitted to re-apply.


4.Changing majors:

Overseas students are not normally permitted to change majors; however, if an undergraduate student must change majors as a result of special circumstances, the restrictions are as follows: Freshmen in the first semester are not permitted to change majors. Students on temporary absence status or in their enrollment or admission periods are not permitted to change majors. Students may only change their majors one time during the duration of their studies. After a student's major has been changed, administration of their studies will be undertaken by the new department and incorporated into the management of students of the same grade. Credits acquired before the change in major that meet the teaching requirements of the new major, will be recognized only after approval of both the college transferred to and the Office of Teaching Affairs. Such credits shall be counted as either compulsory or optional credits toward the new major. Other credits acquired before the change in major shall be counted as optional school-level credits.


5. Student identification and campus cards

Various cards and identification documents are issued by university departments in accordance with their respective regulations and procedures. Overseas students in need of such cards or IDs shall apply for them by presenting the necessary documentation during the time periods specified by each department's relevant regulations and procedures. Student identification and campus cards must not be intentionally damaged or altered without permission of the school. Students having altered or misused their cards or identification will be punished according to the laws of the People's Republic of China and the rules and regulations of Nankai University.

Non-degree students

1. Period of study

The period of study for non-degree student is usually one year. Non-degree overseas students can extend their period of study to two years if necessary.

2.Course selection

If ordinary non-degree overseas students are absent from class for more than one third of the total learning hours, they will not be permitted to obtain documentation certifying their participation. For students engaged in normal coursework in a college other than the College of Chinese Language and Culture, the average school week consists of 6-16 class periods. These students are generally only allowed to select undergraduate level courses. The course selection process is the same in time, method, and scope for non-degree students as it is for undergraduates. Specific information about course selection can be obtained from the person responsible for teaching affairs in each college. After a student has completed all the courses required by his or her college, he or she is allowed to select courses from other colleges, subject to approval by teachers in both colleges. Students may select no more than two courses from colleges other than their own. Students studying Chinese language in the College of Chinese Language and Culture are required to take no less than 18 class periods per week.

Shortly after having been accepted by their college or department, advanced non-degree students should contact their academic adviser to present their proposed research plan. Advanced non-degree students generally conduct specialized academic research under the guidance of their academic adviser and therefore do not select classes. However, advanced non-degree students wishing to audit a course (attend without being officially enrolled), should ask permission from both their academic adviser and the college.

3.Attendance and leave

Ordinary non-degree students should select and take courses according to relevant school regulations. If, for personal reasons, a student is unable to attend class or be present on campus, he or she should request leave from the college and notify the Office for Overseas Students.

4.Extending one's studies

If non-degree overseas students wish to continue their studies at Nankai University after their planned period of study has ended, they should apply for an extension at the Office for Overseas Students and complete all required extension procedures. The school will either approve or deny the application, depending on the student’s academic performance and behavior on campus.

5. Students’ Identification cards

After registration, Nankai University student cards will be issued to overseas students by the Office for Overseas Students. In the event a student card is lost, the holder can apply for a replacement card in the Office for Overseas Students. Student cards for non-degree students of Chinese language will be issued by the College of Chinese Language and Culture. Student cards are an important form of identification, they should only be carried by the named holder and not given or lent to other persons. If a student card is lost, please immediately report the loss and apply for a replacement card.

Copyright © Nankai University All Rights Reserved.