Environmental Management MSc
The MSc in Environmental Management draws on expertise in the School of Geographical & Earth Sciences and the School of Interdisciplinary Studies at the University of Glasgow. Together they represent a leading centre of expertise in environmental teaching and research. They work on issues dealing with the natural and urban environment including policies and practices for environmental management.
The MSc in Environmental Management aims to produce graduates who
- have a strong understanding of the environment and how it changes
- have an awareness of economic and policy issues affecting the environment
- are able to apply practical and technical solutions to assist in the management of the environment, environmental risk and environmental change.
You will develop a firm understanding of the environment and how human and physical processes affect it.
You will be introduced to policies and practices for environmental management, as they are applied in a range of environments and at different scales. You will develop skills in processing and presenting environmental information to inform and enhance environmental management.
You will gain an enhanced appreciation of the importance of research and reflection as a route to successful environmental management.
This degree programme equips you for a wide range of opportunities by providing the knowledge and understanding to:
- Critically assess the influence of physical processes and the impact of human decision making on the environment
- Evaluate theories of environmental management
- Discuss theories of climate change, how this will affect different environments
- Compare and contrast environmental management policies in different regions and at different scales
- Develop strategies for behavioural change to improve management of the environment
- Explain the need to develop policies to manage the environment at different scales
- Create plans to react to and manage environmental change
- Explain how GIS and Remote Sensing contribute to the management of environmental data and can contribute to environmental management.